1. Children have difficulty accepting the reality of a death due to:
2. Encourage parents/guardians to be truthful about the circumstances of the death.
3. Get permission from the child to break the news to student body
4. Children appreciate a show of support from school staff & students
5. Identify staff person who the child can go to for support during school
6. Advocate for students when their grief impacts their academic or social performance
7. Know that grief is a lifelong process so student records should indicate the need for ongoing support in the second and third year etc.
8. Offer to give the parent/guardian referrals to OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center or organize an OUR HOUSE Grief Support Group for your school.
© OUR HOUSE Grief Support Center